The 2012 Root Cellar Family History Writing Contest
- hosted by the Sacramento Genealogical Society
- open to the public
- accept factual articles about family or local history, character sketches, or memoirs. Submissions should relate the experiences of a family or individuals, revealing their character and personality. The best entries will display the human drama and historical or social situation of the subjects.
- All entries must be received by August 1, 2012. Finalists and other prize-winners will be notified by email about October 1, 2012.
- Check the website at www.rootcellar.org for prize listing and further contest details.
Massachusetts Society of Genealogists - Writing Contest
- open to all members of the Massachusetts Society of Genealogists
- Topics - two to three generations of a family, tell an interesting story about family and children, provide a solution to a genealogical problem, must contain vital data for living persons.
- deadlines is August 15th, 2012
- Check the website at http://www.massog.org/writing_contest_rules_2012.html for contest information.
National Genealogical Society Family History Writing Contest
- open to all NGS members
- Topics of 3 to 4 generations, not previously published, between 4,000 and 10,000 words
- deadline is December 31 annually
- Check the website for full details and prize information http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/cs/family_history_writing_contest
Writer's Digest Self-Published Book Awards
- Life Stories genre that includes Family Histories and Memoirs
- Deadline is June 15th 2012
- A chance to win $3,000 in cash
- Get national exposure for your work
- Catch the attention of prospective editors and publishers
- A paid trip to the ever-popular Writer’s Digest Conference in New York City
- Check out the website for further details and prizes. http://www.writersdigest.com/competitions/selfpublished
Dallas Genealogical Society Writing Competition 2012
- Original material submitted by members and non-members, hobbyists and professionals
- Length of articles may be from 750 to 5000 words.
- basic and advanced methodologies and case studies
- family histories and genealogies, particularly those linked to North Texas, including those who came from or left to settle elsewhere
- transcriptions, abstracts or indexes of record groups (including family records) not yet filmed or digitized that relate to Dallas or North Texas
- ethnic, house, or military histories related to Dallas and surrounding counties
- Entries will be accepted between June 1 and September 30, 2012.
- Check out the website for all the details http://www.dallasgenealogy.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=455&Itemid=58
ISFHWE Excellence in Writing Competition
- entrants must be members of ISFHWE
- annual contest, with 5 categories, newspaper columns, published articles, original research story, want-to-be writer/columnist, unpublished by published author.
- Deadline: annually December 31st.
- More details available at the website http://www.isfhwe.org/
2012 Michael Clark Family History Writing Award Competition
- hosted by The Minnesota Genealogical Society
- Topics fall into one of two categories, Research Article, demonstrating family history research and problem-solving qneFamily Story, engaging the reader in persons, place, and time.
- Deadline is July 15th
- Learn all the details at their website http://mngs.org/
Food Memoir and Recipe Contest
- hosted by Women's Memoir Writing
- deadline July 12th 2012
- 500-1500 word story about your favourite recipe, great opportunity to relate a family history story related a food memory or recipe.
- Opportunity to be published in an ebook.
If you are aware of a family writing contest please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will gladly add it to the list.