We all have beliefs. Some of those beliefs thrust us onwards and upwards towards our genealogy goals. And some of those beliefs hold us back, limit us.
It’s those limiting beliefs that we need to be concerned about. They come to us in the form of explanations or excuses for why you believe something is not possible. Your limiting beliefs sit on your shoulder, like a little red devil with that sharp pitchfork stabbing self-doubt into every thought you have, into those beliefs.
One limiting belief that I find many family historians experience is the ability to write their family history stories.
Do these limiting beliefs look familiar?
I don’t know how to write?
No one is interested in my ancestor’s stories.
It’s too hard to write.
I’ll never get it finished.
I’m not talented enough.
I don’t have the time. I’m too busy.
I’m not done researching my family history.
These are just a few of the limiting beliefs I hear every day from family historians.
How to Overcome Your Limiting Beliefs
Listen to those voices in your head, or that guy on your shoulder. What is he saying? What are your limiting beliefs saying? Once you can identify those limiting beliefs, understand that they are nothing more than excuses holding you back. You can then begin to change them. And, it’s not as hard as it sounds.
2. Make a list of your limiting beliefs. – they might look something like the list above.
3. Create a list of new beliefs
- I am good enough to write my ancestor’s stories
- I can learn and develop the skills needed write my ancestor’s stories.
- I am worthy of the time needed to write my ancestor’s stories.
- I will make writing my ancestor’s stories a priority in my life.
- I deserve the time to write these stories, for myself and future generations.
4. Make a list of what you need to do to make your new belief a reality.
Schedule time in my calendar
Take some writing classes
Start writing every day
Get feedback on my writing
5. Make your new beliefs your mantra.
- Write it on sticky notes and place them in your writing place.
- Make it your screensaver.
- Repeat it to yourself when you go through your morning routine
- Say it to yourself before you drift off to sleep at night.
- Decide that you are good enough, you deserve it, and you can do it.
- Put it out into the universe.
- Then do it.
- Write Your Family History
The Family History Writing Challenge returns for its 6th Year!!
Join us for the month of February and take hold of those limiting beliefs and cast them aside.
February 1st – February 28th
It starts with 28 Days. 28 Minutes.
Registration is now Open, Click Here for More Details.