The International Society of Family History Writers and Editors are sponsoring once again there 2012 Excellence-in-Writing Competition.
It is open to both ISFHWE members and non-members.
You can compete in one of five categories:
• Category I - Columns. This is for columns published on a regular basis, in any medium, published in 2011. Entries must be shorter than 1,000 words.
• Category II – Articles. These articles must have been published in 2011 in a newspaper, journal, magazine, newsletter, or web site. This is for feature or one time articles, not part of ongoing columns. Entries cannot exceed 5,000 words.
• Category III - Genealogy Research Story. This category is for original, unpublished articles between 1,000 and 3,000 words. The articles should focus on telling the story of genealogical research using one of these topics: ”The Search for <ancestor’s name or nickname>, ” “Sorting Out the Entangled Roots of…<ancestor’s name>, ” or “Encounters with a Family Skeleton.”
• Category IV - Want-to-be Writer/Columnist. Entrants in this category aspire to be writers or columnists in the field of genealogy/family or local history. This category is for original unpublished articles by previously unpublished authors. The submissions in this category are original and unpublished, between 500 and 1,000 words.
• Category V – Unpublished material by Published Author. This category is for original unpublished articles by previously published authors. The subject should be genealogically-related but NOT one of the subjects in Category III.
Entries should be between 500 and 3,000 words.Winners in each category will be awarded a cash prize and a certificate. The submission deadline is June 3, 2012.
For a more information including rules, instructions, and the entry form, download the 2012 Excellence in Writing Entry Package (PDF).