- About - Who is Lynn?
- Beginner's - Start Here
- Family History Writing Challenge
- The Corner Store
- Writing Your Family History
- Helpful Research Tips
- Irish Genealogy for Beginners
- Old Fashioned Recipe Collection
- The Family History Blog to Book Project
- Tools for the Family History Writer
- Mind Mapping for Genealogists
- 2013 Genealogy Conferences
- Advertise Here
Tombstone Tuesday- My Eldest Ancestor meets My Youngest
Today's picture is the tombstone of My Great-Great-Great-Great grandmother. I found her grave in the Catholic cemetery in Chepstow, Ontario. Susana Whittaker was a Northern Irish Protestant immigrant who married John Phelan an Irish Catholic. They received special permission to be married in Ireland in 1808, since penal laws at the time did not allow such mixed marriages. They came to Canada with their children in 1823 looking to offer their family greater opportunities and to remove themselves from the prejudices that existed in their homeland.
The young girl standing beside Susana's tombstone is my daughter and Susana's Great-Great-Great-Great -Great granddaughter. Never under estimate your children's interest in genealogy. This picture still amazes and moves me!